Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Slave Narrative

Equiano Narrative

"'Sometimes when a white man take away my fish, I go to my maser, and he get me my right; and when my maser by strength take away my fishes, what me must do? I can't go to any body to be righted; then,' said the poor man, looking up above, I must look up to God Almighty, in the top, for right.' This artless tale moved me much, and I could not help feeling the just cause Moses had in redressing his brother against the Egyptian. I exhorted the man to look up still to the God on the top, since there was no redress below."

Diary: I do not care of the opinion people have of me, because of how I feel about slavery and racism. Slavery is not only morally wrong; but it is economically not beneficial to the economy. We have to stop slavery all together. When slaves are freed they become better people, which no longer feel the need to steal. Honestly the best way to solve the racial problems we have is to have interracial marriages occurring more and more often.
-Equiano


Reflection: This narrative opened a new perspective of the impact that one person can have of society. Equiano was a very brave man who spoke up for his beliefs about slavery and racism, and inevitable made a change. Though many people may not see it this way this showed me that every opinion counts for something, and if you have the will to speak out against something you can make an impact. Equiano believed so strongly in anti-slavery that he spoke out was not afraid of how others viewed him. To me this is very inspirational.

0 comments: